After undergoing dental implant surgery, it is important that you pay close attention to cleaning and maintaining them. Like your natural teeth, dental implants must be protected from the stresses and ravages of daily life. Bacteria, plaque, and other germs can get caught within the gap of your implant and bone. This can cause an infection and ultimately, implant failure.
Flossing is also necessary, as it removes food deposits in the places where your toothbrush is unable to reach. Using an antibacterial mouthwash will help kill any missed bacteria that may have been loosened by brushing, but has not been removed from your mouth.
It is a common misconception that artificial teeth require little care since they have no nerves to send pain signals that can indicate a problem. When dental implants fail, they often need bone grafting and re-implantation.
Tips to maintaining dental implants
The following are some tips on how to care for your dental implants:
- Clean your dental implants just as you would your real teeth. Brush at least two times a day, in the morning and evening. Or, for even better results, brush after every meal.
- When brushing, apply a small amount of toothpaste to your toothbrush. We recommend an electric toothbrush or one with an angled handle to help you brush in hard-to-reach areas around your entire implant.
- If you are using a regular bristle toothbrush, hold it at a 45-degree angle to your gumline. Move it in small circles along the back, front and top of your implant. As you brush the base of the implant, make sure that some bristles hit your gum area.
- Continue brushing for at least two to three minutes.
- Take a 12-inch length of dental floss and guide the floss around your implant. Then use your floss to wrap around the side of your implant and take the floss all the way down to your gumline.
- Maintain routine dental checkups with Dr. Wendling. She will assess the health of your implant during your routine visits.
If you would like more information on how to maintain your dental implants, or if you are interested in the dental implant procedure, please call or email our Oregon Cosmetic Dentistry practice today to schedule your initial consultation with Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Wendling. Serving the Portland, Lake Oswego and West Linn, Oregon area, we will be glad to answer your questions and to show you around our spa-like facilities. Please contact us today.